Wednesday, August 03, 2011

How do I love thee...

Do you find yourself running in circles for your children?  Then we have something in common.  The saying holds true that I would give them the world, but this week I have found myself in an a rather helpless dilemma.  Our only vehicle is in the shop, and could be for a while.  My eldest son has soccer camp.  I have an appointment to sign my teaching contract with a new school, and register my boys in that school system.  What do I do?  What sacrifices do I make?  Well, with the words of Tim Gunn we will, "Make it work!"

I found out who my true friends were (a.k.a. who really loves me).  As soon as I posted my rock and hard place on Facebook, a friend in a neighboring county came to my rescue.  She offered to drive me everywhere I needed to go.  I was truly in tears as she blessed me with her generosity.  Another friend offered me her car.  Two other friends offered to transport my son for the remainder of camp. The pure kindness was overwhelming.

It is kind of funny that my first thought was how am I going to get my son to soccer camp and not how am I going to pay for all this work.  I suppose it is the mommy in me that wants the best for my kids.  When I see him on the field where I know he is happiest, I know I could never take that away from him.  The same goes for my daughter when she is cheering or dancing.  My loves as a child were reading, writing, and art.  My mom never had to go very far for that; although, she would have (I am sure).  I will continue to provide experiences for my children, but how much do I love them?  Would I sit for hours on end at practices and classes?  That, my friends, is a resounding NO.

I love my children enough to have my own life and experiences.  I like what I have accomplished and what I am good at.  I do not wish to live vicariously through them.  The pride exudes when they make a goal, perfect a dance, belt out a cheer, or bring home a good grade.  I love them enough to stand up for them when they have no voice.  I, also, love them enough to help them find their own voices and know when to use them.

A close friend of mine is fighting cancer with an awesome spirit.  She came to my rescue today in more ways than one. This wonderful woman has reminded me you have to do what you have to do. There will be times that I cannot give my kids all that they desire.  They will not always understand, but they will appreciate the sacrifices that I have made for them in the end.  I will "make it work", but not if it I lose myself in the process.

No comments: